rotating header

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Four Happinesses

Prince Wesley.  Yes, that was the name of one of the babies I saw this morning.  I marveled at the mom's choice and wished him a good life, and that he would meet his own Princess Buttercup someday to whom he could say, "as you wish".  I filled in for the nursery doc who had to go to a meeting.  I have to say I think another of the babies really likes me. He was screaming his head off several times today, and as soon as I picked him up he was quiet and alert.  He was lonely.  Babies are a balm to the soul.

An A+ Pass.  In the afternoon I spent time teaching my interns about neonatal resuscitation using this low-cost baby model one fills with water, and it has lungs and a little heart you can make beat.  NeoNatalie.  I ran through scenario after scenario.  In some the baby cried, in others she didn't.  Sometimes there was meconium, sometimes not. Sometimes they had to do CPR.  They practiced giving breaths with the bag-valve-mask.  About six hours later on call, I had a "999" page which means "run someone is dead or dying".  By the time I got to nursery, I found my intern with a baby who was now crying.  He was on OB call when the nurse-midwife delivered a mom who had a difficult second stage.  The baby had a low heart rate, and nothing else-no tone, no color, no cry, no breathing.  But the intern was prepared.  He did everything right, and so by the time I got there what could have been a dead baby was instead pink and protesting.  I told him he had the real exam on what he'd learned, and he passed with an A+.

Dinner.  About 6 pm Scott called to find out if I was OK. Always nice to be missed.  By the time I got home a lovely spaghetti dinner was on the table.  All working moms need a husband who is proactive in serving, and can cook.

Amber Vinson's Hugs.  The 7th ebola survivor (out of 8 patients treated in the USA) was declared ebola-free today, the second nurse from Texas.  We watched her press conference, and the hugs which bravely showed she is no longer infectious.  Ebola is a physically but also a mentally debilitating disease.  It is hard to imagine the toll of not only risking your life, but then being treated as a plague-bearing danger, avoided, isolated, suspected, blamed.  It was so encouraging to see her alive and well and embraced.  Slowly this disease is becoming something we can treat, and change.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Silence speaks so much louder than screaming tantrums. Never give anyone an excuse to say that you're crazy. See the link below for more info.


#screaming
www.matreyastudios.com